Nothing on earth remains the same forever.  So can you tell that I'm not a huge fan of change?  Mrs. Budensiek, one of my high school teachers, used to tell me that I really needed to learn flexibility.  I have worked on that over the years, and try to be as flexible as my personality will let me be, but change is still not my favorite thing.


The most recent changes that have come to us are that we moved Jo to South Dakota to live with her Grandpa for a while (her choice), and we moved my mother-in-law in with us.  It was hard to let Jo leave; she has been my right hand since Doug went off to college.  But it's time for her to try her wings and, Lord willing, fly.  And Amy needs to learn to step up and be the help that Jo was...and she is trying.  She's been a busy girl since we got home from our Family Reunions trip.


Moving Mama in was easy on the one hand.  We don't know exactly what happened, whether it was something actual, or something she imagined, but she became afraid to stay at her apartment, and has no interest in going back.  Moving Mama in was hard on the other hand...you can laugh if you want, but I'm just going to be honest.  I have been very willing, even planning, to have her live with us.  The Lord knows my heart, and that is true.  Then, in discussion with Dave and the rest of the family, we decided that was not the best thing.  She has taken quite a turn for the worse this summer in her mental state (she has Alzheimer's), and they felt like it would be too much.  So while I wanted to take care of her, I respect what Dave wants, so I gave up having her.  Then this sudden aversion to her apartment happened, and she came home with us, since she was now a 'flight risk.'  We checked into the place we were hoping she could live, where she would have constant supervision and care, and found that their waiting list is nine months long.  So now I'm back to my square one.  I think the Lord has a sense of humor because this is kind of funny that the Lord would bring me all the way around the circle, back to the beginning.


But the reality of it is that having another person in your home who needs fairly constant supervision and attention is not easy.  But in the week that she's been here, I have found God's grace to be abundant, free, and a marvelous thing in my eyes!  He has helped me to be loving, and patient, and kind over and over.  I am so thankful to Him for this, and I have no complaints.  God is good, all the time, and He has His purpose to fulfill in this stage of our lives.  My prayer is that I will learn the lessons He has planned for me, and grow in His grace, and be the kind of daughter-in-law that I may need someday.

Comments

  1. Lisa, I didn't know you had a blog. I see that you may not still be posting on this, but just wanted to drop by and say hello! I trust that all is well your way. =)

    Blessings,
    ~Heather Dickinson~
    Bogota, Colombia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, it's nice to hear from you! I have not posted on this for a long time, but have not forgotten it either. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you all are well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts